A Bot is a computer-controlled character.
OpenArena 0.8.8 restored compatibility with third-party bots designed for Quake 3. Up to OpenArena 0.8.5, bot files desigend for Q3A were not compatible with OA (you may find many errors in console and strange behaviors like them use only the machinegun). If you want to use such bots with OA 0.8.5, you can apply a patch that restores almost complete compatibility (only few "chat" lines still have problems): please see FAQ#How can I use maps, models, mods made for Quake 3 Arena?, in particular FAQ#Models and bots designed for Quake 3. OpenArena 0.8.8 already includes that patch, so you don't have to manually install it.
- Bot play - Informations for when creating a map: bot optimization
- Manual/Multiplayer/Advanced#Commands - Mentions some bot-related commands, such as addbot, bot_minplayers, g_spksill.
- Q3A Bot commands on Quake3World.com
- Q3A Bot commands on Bagpipes.net (internet archive) - (from the official Q3A help)
- The Quake III Arena Bot (thesis by Jean Paul van Waveren, aka Mr Elusive): detailed guide about how the Q3A bots work. Can be useful for bot and map development.
- Q3abotedit.zip (internet archive) - Informations about editing the Q3 bots files, official from iD Software.