Because I have to.
General NOTTODO still applies.
Here, some clarifications and emphasis which are especially important for OA3 development.
NOT TO DO!!!
- Pop-culture references. OA3 is a 2000 technical aesthetic-styled game, NOT a "wazzup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look how 2000 we are!!! is that your final answer??? all your base!!! bye bye bye" game.
- Nudity. A common misconception about the switch to an anime style is that there will be nudity - this is far from the truth.
- Engine switches. There is no logical reason nor benefit to switch to a "better" engine.
- License switches.
- Platform regressions. It is my intent to have this game still working on low end and older systems.
- Scavenge existing artwork. This is not an ASSET FLIPPING game.
- Skeletons. Doesn't LOD well, and are very taboo in places like China.
- Merpeople/Amphibians. The game has a drowning mechanic. This is not changing for anyone. Merpeople make less sense with it.
- High bare-flesh-to-clothing ratio. Remember Angelyss? That's not happening again (in baseoa3 at least).
- Heterochromia. This trope has been done to death ever since Rozen Maiden's Suiseiseki was a "dank meme". Also the additional texture switching isn't worth it.